This recipe uses RawSpiceBar’s Caraway, Fennel & Anise Bread spice. This spice blend is perfect for adding flavor to crusty breads, crackers, salads and vegetables. Toasted sesame seeds, anise, rosemary and caraway create a German inspired flavor that transforms simple shortbread, rye bread, salads and even tea.
All Raw Spice Bar spices are crafted with high quality, whole spices, and freshly ground just before shipping.
Witch’s Finger Halloween Breadsticks
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ cup warm water
3 ½ cups flour
RawSpiceBar’s Caraway, Fennel & Anise Bread
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp green food coloring
1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Stir together active dry yeast, sugar, and warm water in a large mixing bowl, until the sugar is dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast bubbles.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the yeast mixture and beat on low speed until well combined. Add 2 ½ cups of flour, RawSpiceBar’s Caraway, Fennel & Anise and salt, and beat on medium speed until a soft dough is formed, about 2-3 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it becomes the right texture.
- Place the dough on a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, then cover the bowl with a dry towel. Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Prepare a floured surface to work on. Divide the dough in 16 pieces, then shape each piece into a 10-inch rope. Cut each rope in half. Place the pieces 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Loosely cover with a kitchen towel for 15 minutes, until the fingers rise.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly score the top of fingers to look like wrinkles on a knuckles. Brush with egg white over the fingers. Press in an almond slice at the tip of each finger for nails.
- Bake the fingers for 10-15 minutes until deep golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack, serve & enjoy!